My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

Saturday, August 19, 2006

I love Xian!!!

So, I'm in Xian and loving it. There's just something about this city that is so much more refreshing than other Chinese cities. It's not the weather (oppressively hot) nor the lack of pollution (yes, it exists), but rather a relatively uncrowded feeling and a sensation that this city is comfortable with itself. It should be, after three thousand years...

It's also actually a fairly small city, as cities go in this country, at 70,000 people. The city is also well planned and laid out, in a neat square within the city walls, and in "rings" (first ring road, second ring road, and so on) on the outside. Sidewalks are very, very wide, and shaded by French maples. It's easy to navigate, and nothing's so far away that it takes forever to get there. I think it's the perfect size...big enough not to get bored, small enough not to get lost. :) I'm so relaxed here, especially with my host family, that I think I'm finally going to kick the disease that laid siege to my body over a month ago.

Speaking of my host family, they are the best thing that has happened to me since I got to China. In fact, I thought of a slogan:
"Plane ticket to Xian: $220. Two weeks with the Guos: $350. Learning six-year-old Chinese: PRICELESS."
Original, don't you think?
To be honest, I really love them. Their ten year old son is a delight, and the six year old born in defiance of the one child policy, is, while incredibly spoiled, very cute. My host mom cooks really good food...such a change from Harbin student fare! I love it. everything she makes, I love. I've only had one thing here I didn't like...fish dust...yeah, that's sick...but she didn't make it, so I felt OK not eating it. I like watching her cook, too, I chat with her and she tells me how to say stuff, and which things have yin and yang. Yes, believe it or not, carrots have great yinyang. Guess what else does? no, you never will. Tap water. Yes, tap water has yinyang, as long as you boil it first. Bottled water doesn't, she prefers not to use it. I figured I'd better not say anything about ground water contamination...are trace ammounts of mercury yin, or yang? I decided not to ask.

Today I met a French guy on vacation in China, we spent the day walking around Xian's center area-saw a drum show at the drum tower, and a bell show at...yep, the bell tower!!! grin. Then we had some sort of lamb soup, and I taught him how to play Chinese chess on the set I purchased not an hour before. so cool, it's small and in an octogon shaped box, with jade pieces. I love it. I specifically looked for one small enough to take home, but special and pretty anyway. I totally found it!!! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home